Saturday, February 17, 2007

Sacrifice

The things I'll do for a friend...

So I've got this friend, Heather, who many of you know and love, and she's getting married March 17th. Our friendship is really peculiar. The only time we've ever lived in the same city was one summer way back in 1999 in Colorado and another summer in Turkey. But, I truly consider her one of my very best friends. In fact, she's probably a key factor in me becoming a nurse.

Anyway...I'm a bridesmaid in her wedding. So, because of our dear friendship, I'm making a huge sacrifice---my skin! Yesterday I bought 15 tanning visits. Had my first session yesterday...hurting a bit today. Pasty white skin and super bright, ultraviolet bulbs don't always make a good match.

When I was in high school I didn't think anything of destroying my skin in the tanning bed every winter. But, after a few health classes in college, I deemed them evil, never to shine on my precious skin again. After a northern move and then a very eastern move, the culture I was surrounded with didn't seem to care as much about bronze skin. So, the temptation to tan never really came up. Then, I moved back to the good, ole South. Last winter as I sat in my college classes, I was shocked to see girl after girl coming in 1) wearing not nearly enough clothing for the season and 2) sporting severely dark skin. At first I was appalled. Then, as the temps warmed up, and I had to bust out the tanks and capris, I found myself drawn to the tanning bed once again. But, my principles held firm, and I self-righteously resisted.

Now, my second winter in the South, and Heather's wedding looming nearer...principles are thrown out. I discovered I could get the spray on tan at my salon, but that seems like a lot of bother. So, I'll go the skin-cancer route, because it's much simpler. :-)

I love you, Heather!

I'll post a pic of my beautifully, diseased, tanned skin in a month. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe she is getting married in a month! That's great! and shame on you for going back to the tanning bed. Vanity! You didn't learn a thing in nursing school! Love ya!