Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Natural State

Like I wrote before, I'm on a count down of "lasts" in America. (at least for a while) Growing up it was always a hobby of my mom's to use her days off to take my brother and I to whatever state park we hadn't yet visited. Over the years I think we've been able to see pretty much every park Arkansas has to offer, which is quite a lot. In honor of that tradition, my mom and I spent last weekend revisiting a few of our favorites.

We started the 2 day trip at a nearby favorite, Lake Degray. Unfortunatley the lake was really, really low after a hot, dry summer. But getting the pool and hot tub to ourselves definitely made up for the lack of swimmable water.



























In only 2 days we managed to visit not only Lake Degray, but also Lake Katherine, Hot Springs, Lake Hamilton, and Lake Ouachita. It was a really fun weekend and a great reminder of just how beautiful Arkansas really is!!

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

love all the pics! And what a great fun weekend with mom. And I sooooo dig the deep fried snickers, although fried oreos are my real fav.

rindy said...

Thanks! I tried the fried oreos at a local festival this summer...the Purple Hull Pea festival...haha, that's a whole post in and of itself. Anyway, yep, the oreos were yummy, but I have to say the snickers gets my vote for fav. :-) And we wonder why American's get a bad rep about being fat. :-)

Anonymous said...

when will you be leaving?

rindy said...

I'll be leaving Arkansas Oct. 23 until Christmas. Then I'll "leave, leave" :-) Jan. 6.

Anonymous said...

wow! that is so exciting!
are you going to have roommates when you move there? wait. you are moving where I think you are moving right?

rindy said...

haha, if you think I'm moving back to the 'bul, then you are right. :-) and I don't know about roommates yet. i certainly hope to see your chappy face over there sometime!

Anonymous said...

oh. the chappy face is coming next summer! I am hoping to get an internship teaching English- I am getting my masters in TESOL now, and this next summer I will hopefully accruing some experience. yah! seeing you makes the idea of going to the 'bul even more exciting!

rindy said...

I thought I remembered hearing that you may be coming next summer. It'll be great to catch back up with you! Really hope it works out!

Natalie said...

Rindy...I don't know if you remember me or not, but I just had to comment on your blog. My grandparents lived in a couple of small towns in Arkansas and then moved to Arkadelphia when I was in high school. We spent many a summer camping trip at Lake Degray or Lake Ouachita! And saw several of the others as well. Great memories! Thanks for the reminder!
Natalie Dixon

rindy said...

Hey Natalie! Of course I remember you. So glad I could provide fun memories for you. I don't think I knew you had lived in Arkedelphia. Fun! We'll have to chat about Arkansas next time I see ya! :-)