Sunday, December 09, 2007

Byrd Theatre



One of my favorite things about being in Virginia has been seeing all the old architecture that's everywhere. And, of course, "old" is relative...after living in Turkey for a while I realized that nothing is really "old" in America.

Last night I got to see an "older" theatre. The Byrd. Movies there are only $2. But, the movie they were showing last night wasn't one any of us wanted to see. We paid our $2 to see a giant organ rise up out of the floor before the show. Then for about 15 minutes the organist played Christmas songs while the audiance sang along. Definitely worth $2! What made it even more interesting was that the organ was from 1928, as was the rest of the theatre, and worked perfectly. I could have listened to him play Christmas songs all night. He even ended with Silent Night and O Holy Night, asking the crowd to pray for our troops around the world. Wow, I didn't know we could still do that in a public setting! It seemed like a very traditional American evening...80 years ago. Not wanting to allow ourselves to get too attached to all things American, though, we later had dinner at a great Thai diner. Mmm! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh so fun! looks beautiful!!