Saturday, September 01, 2007

A New Goal

So I guess it's about time I update this, eh. August was how August usually is...unbearably HOT. You know how bears go into hybernation when it's cold...I'm pretty much the opposite. When it's over 100 for more than 2 or 3 days in row, or try a solid month, I close the blinds, crank up the a/c, and curl up with a good book, trying to pretend it's actually winter.

I've emmerged from hybernation, though, the past week and a half. I've started developing a new interest in running. I've always thought my friends who said they "loved" to run were actually crazy or lying. But, I have also always recognized the health benefits of running, minus the damage on the joints. Anyway, even though I've never believed that anyone could enjoy running, it's always been a secret desire of mine to be able to crank out a few miles every day. So, here I am basically using this blog as accountability to declare that I have a goal of being able to run 2 miles by October 12. In runner's world, 2 miles may just be a warm up. But, for me, it's an attainable goal that I believe will give me a lot of satisfaction both physically and spiritually. Physically--I'll obviously be stronger and more fit from running that much every day. Spiritually--I'll be able to trust God and His strength to keep me disciplined in something that's really hard for me.

So, it's been 10 days since I committed to this goal. I've run 8 of those 10 days. And in those 8 days of running I've built from huffing and puffing 1/4 of a mile to consisently being able to make it a mile and a 1/4. I've been running around 7 at night in temps ranging from 95-102. This morning I discovered that, hello, it's WAY easier to run in the morning when it's only 78 degrees! I'm a smart one, I know. :-)

So, that's my update. I still haven't gotten to the point that I would say, "I enjoy running". But, I will say that I'm enjoying the discipline of it.

No comments: