Friday night I had a truly Arkansan cultural experience. It all began with a 2 hour trip out of Pleasantville, a.k.a., Magnolia, to the big Rock, or actually Little Rock. Magnolia's high school boys basketball team made it to the state finals in Arkansas' biggest arena. The whole town loaded up to cheer their boys on. It was a great game, but the final score found the team 2 points shy of a state championship. Never fear, there was more fun to be had.
Some old college buddies and I headed over to a great sports bar to cheer on the Arkansas Razorbacks in the SEC tournament. Here lies a truly unique cultural experience. Picture at least 200 Razorback lunatics packed into a smoky bar with a movie sized screen, fantastically greazy burgers, and buckets and buckets of beer. A local news station was even there documenting the event. Fenerbace fans have nothing on Hogs fans! Unfortunately for the second time in 6 hours, the team I was cheering for lost. Now, if only my cultural experience had ended here...
Not wanting to miss a moment of fun, I agreed to keep the party going. Off we went to the Electric Cowboy. Really, that's probably enough said. But, for the sake of writing a really long blog, I'll share a few of the highlights. Now that I think about it, The Cowboy, as it is affectionately called, is actually a lot like Istanbul. A place where East meets West. Or better said, Hip Hop meets Country Western. For the next 3 hours my senses were pinballed from Emenem and Fifty Cent to George Strait and Keith Urban. I am not making this up, people. Every 6 songs the dancers would change from 20 somethings bumpin'-n-grindin' to 50 somethins 2 stepping. Since I don't do either, a friend and I found a front row seat to pure entertainment. Keeping a running list of worst dressed, best and worst dancers, playahs, and 007s we amused ourselves for a solid 2 1/2 hours. The final half hour was spent trying to actually reach the exit.
To end this post, I can officially declare that I have graduated from my days of clubbing. Tebrikler to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
sounds like your getting old to me! Liz
Oh, I completely agree!
I am glad I found your blog!! sounds like a very memorable experience....kind of like Hale's birthday part?!
You crack me up girl! I wish I could have been there with you laughing our heads off. Come see me in Houston, I'll show you all the great clubs to go to. I promise you won't want to give up clubbing afterall! ;)
did you say beer?! ;-)
Post a Comment