Saturday, June 16, 2007

Subtracting 50 years

Ever wish you could go back in time 50 years? I think I used to want to do that...thought there was something romantic about the '50s. But spending my 2nd day in small town Kansas has cured me of that wish. Teri and I headed out of Omaha Thursday afternoon and had a beautiful drive down through Nebraska into northcentral Kansas. I love the open plains, especially after being surrounded by pine trees the past two years. It's absolutely a beautiful area of the country. But, not a lot to do.

Our motel, and yes, there is a HUGE difference between motel and hotel, and ours is CLEARLY a motel; anyway, our motel is completely a throw back to the 1950's and not in the fun romantic diner kind of way. In the way that I think we can smell cigarrettes smoked in 1957, bedspreads that haven't been changed since then, and plug ins that don't work for a computer. I'm currently sitting outside the motel office letting my computer charge because it's the only place with a 3 pronged outlet. Oddly enough, there is free wifi. Weird! There are 4 places to eat, and we've already tried 2 of them. We entertained ourselves at the Dollar General last night and bought a caramel candle to burn in our room. So now it smells like caramel cigarettes. Mmm. We do have cable tv, but the speakers sound like they blew out at least 20 years ago.

On the positive side of things, though, we have had an incredible time catching up with Jodi and Amy. We had a fun Kansas cook out Thursday night and learned how to play washers with all of Jodi's family. And, I think I only got about 20 mosquito bites.

So, today is Jodi's wedding so we won't see the girls till after the wedding tonight. Guess we'll spend another day learning how to relax in a super small town.

1 comment:

Mandy B Stenberg said...

I'm a bit jealous that you got to see Teri. I live in the same state she does and I haven't seen her in a while. I love that girl.