Thursday, June 07, 2007

Trinity

While I was in Istanbul I had a very difficult conversation with a close friend of mine who is a young believer. She has actually called herself a believer for several years now, but really is not growing. During our conversation she shared that it is difficult for her to continue believing because she cannot understand how God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, yet still only 1 God. Yikes, I had to admit that although I fully believe in this concept, I don't really know how to explain it. Ad now that I'm studying it on my own, I'm finding that I don't really understand it as well as I thought. I think I've relied on "just having faith" for so long, that now that I'm trying to learn how to explain it to someone who hasn't grown up in the Bible belt, I'm having a lot of trouble putting the concept in basic terms. It's not a basic idea. But there has to be a better way of explaining it than what I know.

So, this morning I read an article by Piper on the Trinity. Definitely not a very basic explanation. Absolutely wonderful for me to read and further develop my understanding and faith. But, it certainly didn't make things any easier for me to explain in a beginner's thought level. I'll keep studying. But, I would love for anyone to send in suggestions, thoughts, links to help with this. If you have a great explanation that is just too long for blog world, please email me. I'm open for suggestions!

3 comments:

Coley said...

Rindy,

I've always used the concept of things like apples, avocados, and eggs. All three of these things have three separate parts that have different uses. My favorite is the avocado. The peel is there for protection, the meat is what we eat, and the seed is what we use to grow more avocados. Each part can separated from the other and used for a different purpose, but they are still part of the same avocado. It is the same with the Trinity. The Father is our protection, our "peel" that shields us, the Son is the Word, our "meat" that feeds us, the Holy Spirit is the "seed" that lives inside us once we are saved and grows within us. Each of these members of the Trinity are equally God, but they are also separate parts of God that have a different purpose.

The same explanation can be used with an apple.

With the egg, the shell is still the protection, but the white and the yolk have other purposes. In cooking, you have to separate the white from the yolk sometimes for certain dishes. All the same egg, just one part was used to make the lemon pie, and the other part was used to make the meringue that goes on top.

I used all three explanations with our youth group, and it had a pretty good impact. Hope it helps you explain things to your friend.

rindy said...

Thanks, Nicole! That definitely makes a lot of sense and is pretty easily understandable. I really appreciate your help!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rin!
Emily here. One or our mutual friends asked me that in Istanbul, and I did some quick praying. I found myself explaining it like roles. I am a daughter, a friend, and someday hopefully a mother and a wife. I am one person but all of those things. Each role requires different things from me for different people, and so interact differently. But I'm still just me. I'm not sure if that would make any more sense, but it helped then. Love ya!!!