Sunday, September 10, 2006

Iowan Holiday



Since I really built up my road trip to see Teri last month, I guess I should update about how it went. After a 15 hour drive, listening to "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", Teri's basement apartment was a very welcome sight! Teri, the ever gracious hostess planned a great Iowan holiday for me. As you can see in the picture, we visited Okoboji. That's Teri and me sailing across the lake. Really...ok, so we actually spent the whole time laying out on the dock watching the sail boats, but does it count that I dreamed about sailing while I was sitting on the dock of the lake?? Actually we did watch an old guy who was really in no shape to windsurf flip his boat right in front of us. It took 2 teenage guys and the lake patrol to get him back on board.

We also spent an evening listening to a great band from Nebraska. They were so good I can't remember their name. The crowd loved them until they played the Nebraska fight song...the Iowa folk weren't too happy about that.

I discovered "broasted chicken". Can anyone tell me if there is something about it that makes it different from regular fried chicken?

Oh, a HUGE discovery made during my Iowa travels is easiest told in a joke that I actually heard quite a few times: "If a couple in northwest Iowa gets divorced are they still first cousins?" Apparently Arkansas shouldn't be the only state to get a bad rep regarding that subject!! I guess they have to keep the Dutch blood pure somehow. :-) For more info ask Teri.

It really was great to meet all of Teri's family and friends. They treated me very well and only made a few comments about my sweet Southern accent. :-)

After experiencing the cool Iowa breezes smelling of hogs and corn, I loaded up the Stang again and headed south. On my way back to Arkansas, I stopped off in the great city of Mcalyster, Oklahoma. In the 11 hours it took me to drive through Nebraska, Kansas, and most of Oklahoma the temperature increased by 50 degrees. Ouch! Welcome to the south, eh. Had a fantastic time touring Heather's brand new old house. She's quite the DIY girl. After 2 trips to the coffee house, a trip to the Hub, an hour massage, and a pedicure, and of course hours of chatting with Heather, I decided it was time to end the holiday.

Oh, and btw, for those who thought "broasted chicken" was an Iowan delicacy, Heather and I saw it advertised at a liquor store in Oklahoma. Interesan, eh??

In conclusion...can someone please explain broasted chicken. Thanks!

3 comments:

Johnson Journal said...

Hey the blog looks good. I am glad you and Tido had a good time. Wish we could have been there. Love, Elizabeth

rindy said...

Wish you could have been there, too! Or better yet, wish we could have gone on vacation with you guys!! Wow, that place looked great!

Jack and Sheryl said...

Alright, girlie. Enough knocks on the Dutch Iowans...I'm pretty sure no one in my family is related, but I can't speak for Teri. :) I'm glad you finally made it to our great state. It makes you appreciate us even more, huh? :) On a serious note, thanks for the kick in the pants about whining, too. I hear ya. Love, Sheryl